- Interesting #climate #tourism phys.org/news/2017-11-t… 5 days ago
- RT @TheTweetOfGod: I apologize to some of you for most of you. 1 week ago
- The US #climate report. Can’t deny the obvious and do not try to, despite clear signals from “above” science2017.globalchange.gov 2 weeks ago
- RIP - GRACE , satellite gravity mission, comes to an end after 15 years phys.org/news/2017-10-s… 3 weeks ago
- New level of crazy? Hard to see the arguments for this at least. independent.co.uk/news/world/ame… 3 weeks ago
Author Archives: Throstur Th.
Cold, dry and sunny weather in the south in Spring, with strong winds these days. Can only mean one thing, dust storm activity on the south coast of Iceland. Modis image from 24 April 2017 at 12:50 (image courtesy of … Continue reading
The weather was very good during New Years, calm winds, clear skies and cold. Therefore, PM10 concentration was expected to reach high values, and it did. At Grensás, close to downtown Reykjavik, the concentration reached maximum at 01:30, reaching almost … Continue reading
Dust storms occurred, and were visible, on 27 and 28 October 2016. MODIS image from 28 October 2016 at 13:00.
Wind gusts over 20 m/s on 20 October 2016 north of Dyngjujökull gave rise to re-suspension of dust from the glacier river, Jökulsá á Fjöllum. Landsat8 image from 12:34 on 20 October 2016 (image from NASA/USGS). Wind speed measured at … Continue reading
Good weather for dust storms these days here in Iceland, dry and sunny and windy every once in a while. The MODIS image above (Image courtesy of NASA MODIS/Rapidfire), taken 14:50 on 7 August 2016, show that pretty well. Quite … Continue reading
Sunny and windy in the south today, and dust blowing in the area near Eldhraun and also Meðallandssandur. Fairly strong winds, 11 m/s average wind speed and gusts of 19 m/s at Kirkjubæjarklaustur (Figure 1). Figure 1. Weather observations at … Continue reading